Monday, January 20, 2014

Mosquitoes Think I'm Dessert



January 20, 2014

¡Hola!

Primer, ¡Feliz cumpleaños a mi sobrina favorita! Can´t believe she is already three! She is so funny and she sounds so grow up from all the stories you tell. 

I can´t believe another week as come and gone.  I´ve already been in Paraguay for a month! ¡Loco es!  But I love it here, even though it´s really, really hot and the mosquitoes think I´m dessert, and even when it seems like we aren´t having much success.

This week was kind of hard on Hermana Casey and I.  We wanted to have a baptism by the 25th, but our investigator didn´t come to church so her date fell.  We were really bummed, and it didn´t help that all the other elders in our district each had like 6 investigators at church, but we learned something.  One is patience, and you all know I´m not a patient person.  Well the Lord is still testing it.  The other thing we learned is about comparing ourselves to others, because a mission isn´t about the numbers. You are a successful missionary if you are working your hardest and doing all that the Lord wants you to, and we actually did have some success this week.  This week the Gomez family came to church for the second time! They are a menos activos family we´ve been visiting.  And they are awesome!

There are actually a lot of less actives here.  Retention is really hard, but the miembros here are great and always so willing to help.  And feed us too! Yesterday we were at a members´ and they fed us and it was good.  I was full, but not uncomfortable, but then they pulled out half of a huge watermelon and were like, "Ok eat it all." And my companion and I just looked at each other like "What?" So, needless to say, I´m not a huge fan of watermelon at the moment ;) I also never thought Lindsay was a hard name to pronounce until a got to Paraguay. Lind sigh is how they want to pronounce it and they are afraid of pronouncing it wrong so they are always asking me how to say it.  It´s fun. 

Most of the people who we wanted to visit are super busy.  Rosana is the one married to the José who lived with a Mormon family and she is in the middle of writing a thesis for school.  Karen is really busy too, but she told us this last time she canceled that she was really bummed because she´s been wanting to talk with us, and then Cecily, who is our English speaker.  She got back from traveling and we taught her again, but then her husband was coming home and he hates religion so she said we couldn´t meet with her for another 2 weeks!  So you can see why we might get discouraged, but I know the Lord has plans for each one of them and for us too and I know it´s all going to work out for the better.  

I love this work so much and I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer.  I know that this is his restored church and that through Christ´s authority we can be baptized and sealed to our families for eternity! I love this gospel and I love all of you! Have a wonderful week. 

Hermana Lindsay


No comments:

Post a Comment