Monday, September 29, 2014

It Looked Easy Enough




September 29, 2014

¡¡¡Monday!!!
It´s Monday again!! Today is some sort of holiday so everyone else in Paraguay has the day off too.  So, we got a call from this guy who is a member and his mom lives in our area and because she has the day off he wanted us to come share with her so we are going to go eat lunch with them!! And then I´m not sure what else we will do, probably a little bit of shopping.  We were going to have our district activity today, but as we are sitting here we got a call from our district leader and because it´s the end of the month, they literally don´t have any money left, although they never seem to have any money, but we will have our activity next week.
So mom, I had quite the laugh at the pictures you sent. Well the one of the cat in particular.  Ha ha, I think there was a little bit of miscommunication on my part.  When I asked for a picture of a cat I didn´t mean MY cat, but ME as a cat, like form the musical we did at MTI.  I was trying to explain what I looked like to Hermana Thacker and she wanted to see a picture.  So, when you sent me the picture of our cat, I couldn´t help but giggle.  Ha ha, but I guess it´s cool to see the cat too, all though there are tons of black cats here that look just like it.  And Paraguayans are very superstitious.  Fun fact about cats here, they call them all Michy.  I don´t really know why, it´s supposed to be like meow or something, but all cats respond to that here. 
This week was pretty good.  We are finding a lot of part member families in our area.  These are like surprise members, people that were baptized in a different part of Paraguay and moved here that we didn’t know about, so it´s be fun to start working with all of them.  A lot of them have kids and spouses that aren´t members.  We are really excited for General Conference, because the sessions are later in the day here and people are always more willing to come out in the afternoon. 
We had a funny moment yesterday.  We brought a boy from a less active family to church.  His name is Alan and he is 10 and he loves church, but his mom never wants to bring him, so whenever we are in the area we pass by for him.  We decided to take a colectivo to church because we were running late.  So, children under 12 are free, but if there is a turn style they have to go underneath it so it doesn´t count them.  Well Alan apparently doesn´t ride in colectivos very often, because he didn´t go under, even after the driver said and I said to several times.  Anyways, so the driver wanted to charge me because he didn´t go under, but I didn´t want to pay so I just told him I would go under.  The people who get on to sell stuff do it all the time and it looked easy enough to me.   For some reason I had a difficult time and I basically ended up Army crawling underneath.  Everyone on the bus had a good laugh at that.  My companion was embarrassed though, ha ha, it´s kind of a funny story now. 
Anyways that´s basically all from me, but I´d like to share a little bit from Preach My Gospel since conference is this weekend.
"Christ´s church is built on the foundation of apostles and prophets, who direct the church by revelation... We are to prepare ourselves so that when the prophets and apostles speak, the Holy Ghost can confirm the truths they teach and we can then determine to follow the counsel they give us... The teachings of living prophets provide an anchor of eternal truth in a world of shifting values and help us avoid misery and sorrow.  The confusion and strife of the world will not overwhelm us, and we can enjoy the assurance of being in harmony with God´s will." (Preach My Gospel, pg. 75).
I know that´s true, I know that the standards of the world are different than God´s standards,  and that´s why we have a living prophet, because God loves us so much that he wants to help us foresee the dangers of living up to the world´s standards.  I know that President Monson and all the apostles are men inspired of God, and if we follow their counsel we will be safe and happy.  I love this Gospel.  I love my Savior Jesus Christ and I love His church, I´m so excited to be spiritually uplifted this weekend and I hope everyone can prepare to listen to a prophet of the Lord. 
All is well!
Rohayhu!
Hermana Amy Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment